are 308 Canadians currently
certified with the Association of Child Life Professionals! There are 5,541
Certified Child Life Specialists worldwide.
There are a total of 5,588
Association of Child Life Professionals members world-wide; 295
There are 464 hospitals
with Child Life Programs worldwide; 37
of them are in Canada! Worldwide, there are 48
Child Life Programs in non-hospital settings.
Montreal Children’s Hospital started one
of the first child life programs in North America in
Ruth Snider, former Director of Child Life at
McMaster Children’s Hospital was the second
President of the Child Life Council in 1984-86!
Linda Skinner, Chief, Child Life & School Services; Coordinator, Child Life at IWK Health Centre, Halifax, NS was awarded the Children’s Miracle Achievement Award in March 2009 by the Children's Miracle Network!
Diane Hart, Director of Child Life at B.C. Children's Hospital, is the second Canadian to be elected President of the Child Life Council, in 2011.
Canadians who have been honoured
with the Child Life Council
Distinguished Service Award:
- 2018 - Joan Turner, Associate Professor of Child and Youth Study at Mount Saint Vincent University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 2016 - Diane Hart, Director of Patient & Family Centred Care, B.C. Children’s Hospital
- 2008 -
LeeAnn Derbyshire Fenn M.Sc., CCLS, Former Director of Child Life Studies, McMaster University.
- 2004 - Ruth Kettner, former Director of Child
Life at Winnipeg Children's Hospital
- 2003 - Kathy Moffat, former Department Head of
Child Life & School Services at Montreal Children’s
- 1997 - Linda Skinner, former Chief, Child Life
& School Services; Coordinator, Child Life,
Centre Wide at IWK in Halifax
- 1989 - Ruth Snider, former Director of
Child Life at McMaster Children’s Hospital